No single TV antenna is the best choice for every location.
How to get over the air channels
The main factors when choosing the best antenna for your local channels are:
1. You need to determine what TV signal frequencies your local TV stations are using to broadcast the TV signal.
2. The terrain between your location and the TV stations is a major factor when choosing the best antenna.
3. When choosing the best antenna for local channels understand this. There's no magic formula that will produce a smaller antenna that will outperform a bigger antenna assuming proper design is applied to both antennas.
4. Set top indoor antennas of any kind never outperform properly designed outdoor antennas. If your location is very close to the TV station transmitters and the building materials used to construct your house will allow the TV signal to penetrate through the walls an indoor antenna may work. The fact is I have never heard from anyone that gets all the channels all of the time or doesn't have to adjust the position of the indoor antenna to receive various channels.
5. When choosing the best antenna for local channels consider the distance from your location to the station transmitter. Although distance is a factor terrain will usually play a bigger role in determining the reception range of any antenna. Hills, dense forestry, mountains and buildings can have a major effect on TV antenna range. My advice is took look closely at distance and terrain between your location and the station transmitter.
6. TV antenna range will also be determine by the installed antenna elevation above ground. Antenna range will increase with antenna elevation. The greater the distance between the TV station broadcast transmitter and the receiving antenna at your home the higher the antenna must be installed to receive the TV signal.
7. Even the best TV antenna needs to be connected to the proper signal distribution system. See: How to set up the proper signal distribution system.
Those are the basics for choosing the best TV antenna for local channels. I understand it can be a little confusing with so many antennas to choose from. In an attempt to make choosing the best TV antenna for your local channels easier I created the digital TV antenna selector. The selector will take you step by step through the process. If that all seems to complicated submit a TV antenna recommendation form and I will personally examine the reception data for your specific location and provide you with a free antenna recommendation.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.
Denny's Antenna Sales
"Helping America Watch Free TV Since 1988"
Determine which antenna is right for you.
Get top HD antenna performance using
the FCC signal anylizer.
What is the best outdoor hdtv antenna?
Why is the HD Stacker the Best Outdoor HDTV antenna?
Better VHF TV reception
Improve my VHF TV reception? Does VHF TV reception require a speacial TV antenna?
Denny's TV Antenna Source Home